Uttarkashi meaning Kashi (Varanasi) is a town in Uttarakhand, India. Uttarkashi is situated on the banks of river Bhagirathi at an altitude of 1352 m above sea level. Uttarkashi is home to a number of ashrams and temples and also to the Nehru Institute of Mountaineering. The name of the town reflects its similarity to and location (as north of) the city of Kashi (Varanasi). Similar to Varanasi, town of Uttarkashi is situated on the Ganges, lies next to a hill named Varun Parvat, on confluence of two rivers Varuna and Asi, has a ghat called Manikarnika Ghat and has a temple dedicated to Shiva (Kashi Vishwanath Temple) in the center of the town.
Places of interest….
· NIM is one of the few mountaineering institutes in India. It conducts various mountaineering and climbing training courses and besides organising climbing expeditions. Bachendri Pal, India’s first woman to climb Mount Everest, is an alumnus of NIM.
· Dodital: One of the popular fresh water lake in Uttarkashi. 21 km trek to Dodital starts from Sangamchatti.
· Kandar Devta Mandir.
· Vishwanath Temple.
· Ganga Kinare (bank of the Ganges).
· Ujeli (constellation of sages): Ujeli is a neighborhood on the north of the town, where many ashrams are located.
· Tiloth Power Plant: Located in Tiloth village at the fringe of Uttarkashi town; Stage 1 of Maneri Bhali hydroelectric project.
· Maneri Dam: Located at Maneri (15 km from Uttarkashi town); Stage 1 of Maneri Bhali hydroelectric project.
· Bhali Dam: Located in Joshiyara village at the lower fringe of the town. Stage 2 of Maneri Bhali hydroelectric project.
· Nachiketa Tal.
· Kuteti Devi temple: Located on a small hill across Bhagirathi River.
· Gyansoo and Palla Gyansoo: Old suburbs of Uttarkashi town, located en route to New Tehri.
· Joshiyara: A village across Bhagirathi River. Now becoming a neighborhood. It has a famous temple, Kaleshwar Mandir, dedicated to Lord Shiva.