Karauli (also spelt as Karoli or Kerowlee) is a town located in the Indian state of Rajasthan.
Earlier, Karauli, along with Alwar, was part of the Matsya kingdom, according to the legend of Mahabharata. The modern princely state Karauli was founded in about 995 by Raja Bijai Pal, a Jadon Rajput ruler, who is 88th in descent from the Hindu god Krishna. The town itself dates back to 1348, and is located in a geographical setting naturally defended by ravines on the north and east, and is further protected by a great wall. His Highness the Maharaja maintains a military force of 281 cavalry, 1640 infantry, and 56 guns, and is entitled to a salute of 17 guns (as of 1892). The Maharaja’s palace is a handsome block of buildings, some of them dating to the late 18th century. Karauli State was founded by Maharaja Arjun Dev Pal in 1346 AD.
Forts in Karauli
Timangarh Fort : Timangarh Fort is located in proximity of Karauli, in the Masalpur sub-tehsil. According to historians, the fort was built in 1100 AD but was destroyed soon after by an attack. In 1244 AD, Yaduvanshi Raja Timanpal, the scion of Vijay Pal, reconstructed the fort. It is believed that there are ancient idols and sculptures hidden under the temples of the fort complex. Visitors can also see the religious, geometrical and flower patterned carvings on the rooftops and pillars of the temples. These pillars are also adorned with carvings of several gods and goddesses. Ancient records discovered at the site corroborate the belief that the fort was occupied by Mohammad Gouri’s forces from 1196 to 1244 AD. There is a Sagar Lake at the side of the fort, which is believed to have a Paras stone at its bottom.
Ramathra Fort : Ramathra Fort is situated in Sapotra in the Karauli District of Rajasthan. The fort is located between Keoladeo Ghana Bird Sanctuary in Bharatpur and Ranthambore Tiger Reserve in Sawai Madhopur. At a distance of 15 km from the fort is located Keladevi Wildlife Sanctuary. Within its premises, the attraction contains the fort, the lake and countryside. Maharaja of Karauli granted the fort as jagir (fiefdom) in 1645 AD to Thakur Bhoj Pal, his son. The fort is currently managed by Thakur Brijendra Raj Pal and his family. Within the fort lie Ganesh Mandir and Shiva Mandir that houses a marble idol of Lord Shiva displaying the craftsmanship of the early 18th century. From the fort, one can enjoy the views of the farmland, rugged scrub of the Daang Plateau, Kalisil Lake and its irrigation canal. The lake is visited by numerous water birds from the nearby Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary. Owing to its location in part of a green farming belt in the Kalisil River Valley, the area around the fort abounds with greenery.
Amargarh Fort : Amargarh Fort is located on a hill top in the village of Amargarh in Rajasthan. This 250 years old fort was built under the supervision of Raja Amar Mal, after whom it was named. The fort is surrounded with greenery and a field of local crops. Moreover, tourists visiting the fort can also view the forests and mountains all around it.