In ancient times, the area around Bundi was apparently inhabited by various local tribes. Bundi and the eponymous princely state are said to derive their names from a former Meena tribe man called Bunda Meena. Bundi was previously called “Bunda-Ka-Nal”, Nal meaning “narrow ways”. Later the region was governed by Rao Deva Hada, who took over Bundi from Jaita Meena in 1342, and established a princely state Bundi, renaming the surrounding area called Hadoti, the land of great Hada Rajputs.
· Taragarh Fort, or ‘Star Fort’ is the most impressive of the city’s structures. It was constructed in AD 1354 upon the top of steep hillside overlooking the city. The largest of its battlements is the 16th century bastion known as the Bhim Burj, on which was once mounted a particularly large cannon calledGarbh Gunjam, or ‘Thunder from the Womb’. The fort is a popular tourist viewpoint of the city below. The fort contains three tanks which never dry up. The technique with which they were built has been long since lost but the tanks survive as a testament to the advanced methods of construction and engineering in medieval India.
· Bundi Palace is situated on the hillside adjacent to the Taragarh Fort and is notable for its lavish traditional murals and frescoes. The Chitrashala (picture gallery) of the palace is open to the general public.
· The largest of Bundi’s baoris or stepwells is the intricately carved Raniji ki Baori. Some 46 m deep, it was built in 1699 by Rani Nathavatji. The steps built into the sides of the water-well made water accessible even when at a very low level. The baori is one of the largest examples of its kind in Rajasthan.
· Nawal Sagar is a large square-shaped artificial lake in the centre of Bundi containing many small islets. A temple dedicated to Varuna, the vedic god of water, stands half-submerged in the middle of the lake. the lake feeds the numerous bavdis in the old city by creating an artificial water table.
· Nagar Sagar twin step wells are identical step wells crafted in pristine masonry on either side of the main spine of Bundi town. The kunds (pools) are currently full of waste from the ancient vegetable market in the vicinity.
· Dabhai Kund also known as the jail kund, is the largest of the kunds in Bundi. Though slightly overgrown, it is well worth a visit for the spectacular carvings on the numerous steps leading down to the water level.
· Sukh Mahal
· Jait Sagar Lake
· Phool Sagar
· Kshar Bagh
· Chaurasi Khambon ki Chhatri, Bundi or eighty four pillared cenotaph
· Dugari Fort (39 km from Bundi on the way to Ranthambore) : Approx 75 acres of land with sandalwood garden is still owned by the present Maharaja Rajendra Singhji Of Dugari. Kanak Sagar lake has a radius of 36 km with a lot of variety of migratory birds.
· Gudha Dam (Gudha Turakti Village 20 km from Bundi)
· Kedareshwar Dham (Bag Ganga)
· Thikana – Bada Khera
· Goteswar Talab Bambuli (8 km From Nainwan)