Behrampore, also known as Baharampur, is located at a distance of 12 km south of district Murshidabad in the state of West Bengal. The city is regarded as the seventh largest city in the state of West Bengal and is known for its historical past and beautiful colonial architecture.
The origins of the city of Behrampore, which is located on the eastern bank of river Bhagirathi, can be traced from the events recorded, buildings constructed and cities discovered over the period of time. For instance, the ruin of Karnasubarna, which has a history dated back to 600 AD, was discovered at Kansona in the present Murshidabad district. The location of this excavated site is 10 Kms south-west of Behrampore.
Behrampore, located at about 200 km from Calcuttla (now Kolkatta), was strengthened and turned into a military garrison by the East India Company in 1757, after the battle of Plassey. Prior to this, the English traders used to reside on a donated land of 133 acres by Nawab Mir Jafar Ali Khan at the southern part of Behrampore. The cantonment established by the British continued to exist until 1870 which was later constituted as a municipality in 1876 and some adjacent areas of age old origin like Saidabad in North and Kasim Bazaar were included in municipal domain. Kasim Bazar was considered as the scene of activity where events and circumstances unfolded and thereafter witnessed a bloody yet glorious era of History of India.
Behrampore, also chosen for the second treasury and Circuit Court, was later made the headquarter of Murshidabad district and the British army used to house in the Barrack Square Field located in the town of Berhampore.
In the year 1857 the sign of Indian Mutiny was witnessed in Behrampore when the Indian Sepoys of the Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry refused to receive the ‘percussion caps’ of Enfield Rifle out of fear of them being greased. The rebels had to face the court of inquiry and thereafter the dismissal of the regiment was ordered. They all were dispersed and marched to Barrackpore where the situation got even worse.
The famous Krishnath College, which initiated western education in Bengal, was established in 1853 by the British at Behrampore. Mr A.S. Harrison was the first principal of Krishnath College which is now eminently known as ‘the Behrampore College’.
Behrampore was described as ‘the Golden Bengal’ by the British as the region was and still is an excellent producer of jute and consists of streams of the Ganges that compliments the most fertile land. However, the law and order drastically declined post East India Company and few unprecedented activities and events, including the remarkable famine conditions which prevailed in 1971, degraded the image and progress of the city which was once regarded as the capital.
Places to visit in and around Behrampore are: Krishnath College (Behrampore College), Krishnath College School, Behrampur Central Jail, Barrack Square Field, Cemetery at Baulbona, Grant Hall, Bisnupur Kalibari, Lal Dighi, Catholic Church, Congregational Church, Pulses and Oilseed Research Station or Behrampur Farm, Banks of river Baghirathi, Armernian Church at Saidabad, the renowned Government College of Engineering & Textile Technology, and the SQUARE field, which is the life line for aspirants looking for career in the Indian Armed Forces.